Thursday, August 2, 2012

Keller Koala by Paula Roach



Keller Weller, Keller Weller Bear, Keller Weller Sweet and Sour, Keller Koala, or as he has called himself, Keller Weller Sweet and Sour Gun Fire Spit Fire! These are some of the many nick names for my four year old son, Keller.

Keller Koala was one of his first nick names. He earned it in when he was just a baby because the way he held on to us resembled a Koala Bear on a tree. Keller loved to be held and he would wrap both arms and legs tightly around who ever was holding him and not let go. We would have to literally peel him off, one limb at a time to put him down or hand him off to some one else. As soon as one arm was loose, he would quickly wrap it back around us and hold even tighter while we were trying to get the other arm. Even at a very young age he was very strong and very determined and this was quite a process! Once finally peeled off, he would wrap himself tightly around the next person who came along and cling to them for dear life. While clinging to us, he would bury his head into our chest or nuzzle in, not looking at anyone or anything but that good, safe place that was holding him. As long as he was clinging onto me with such tenacity, he literally could not take hold of anything else. Every finger, toe, arm and leg were committed to one cause, being as close as possible to me.

Keller taught me what it means to "cling": To take hold of tightly. To wrap ones entire self around that thing that is good and look only to it. To not let go. So, in the Word, Romans 12:9 tells us to "CLING to what is good" it's meaning is simple. To look only to God and His Word. To hold tightly to His Commands. To wrap my entire life around Jesus. To not let go.

Though Keller does not cling to us as tightly or as often as he did when he was a baby, he still loves to climb up on us and be held. When he is in trouble and I am trying to put him in time out, he starts trying to climbing up and trying to hold tightly to me. When he is scared, he nuzzles close. When he is hurt or sad, he crawls up in my lap. For every different emotion, he finds his way to my arms. As he falls to sleep at night, he cuddles close and wraps his arm around me. Some how, when he clings to me, everything is okay. He is safe. The emotions settle. The fear subsides. He finds comfort in my arms.

What a sweet reminder of what we too can experience when we choose to cling to Jesus.

Each year I am more aware of the fact that Keller's days of clinging to me are numbered. My only hope is that with each passing day instead we both cling to the Lord even tighter.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said, Paula! Reminds me, too, that as I cling to what is good, as I cling to Jesus and His Word (He is the Word), then my anxieties will subside and I, too can always find comfort in His arms! Sweet illustration of you and Keller (: LOVE IT...God Bless,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete